Question: Dropped a socket wrench on my inner ankle bone and in pain

yarngoddess - Thu May 14, 2009 4:02 pm

About 4 days ago I dropped a socket wrench and it bounced off my right inner ankle bone, It swelled and bruised and hurt to touch, two days later i could barely walk and my whole ankle was swollen. I went to dr they x-rayed said no chip or break let it heal. I still cannot touch my ankle, it is still swollen and now hurts down the top of my foot and up my calf, everytime I step I get an intense burning sensation radiating out from where the wrench hit me. The dr said the xray was normal and he thinks i caught the vein in between the wrench and the bone but it should not cause as much pain as I am in to touch or move it if that is the case, he doesn't know why it hurts so bad, just be gentle on it for a while. I am in serious pain and want to know what I should do I've been gentle, been icing it, elevating it, and all that. Should i wrap it, boot it, or will I cause more damage by doing that? Is there something else I could have done to it that my family practitioner might not have thought of. Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:08 pm

You are doing everything right with the ice and elevation. I would add compression ie ACE wrap. If it is painful to bear weight using crutches to take weight off for a few days will help with the healing.

You may start gentle painfree range of motion ie ankle pumps during the time on crutches to maintain motion.

Any of the structures in the foot could have been damaged (skin, blood vessels, nerves, ligaments and bone) so it is hard to tell which exact structure is causing the problem. But we know there is no bone fracture.

So I would continue to treat the symptoms and give this time to heal.

All the best to you.

|