News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: ACL tear & medial meniscus tear after repair

smoore5332 - Thu May 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Back in October while coaching my son's soccer team, I extended my r leg to stop a ball and felt immediate pain. I was able to walk on the leg but was really swollen. To make a long story short I had ACL replacement in December with a cadaver graft and a medial posterior horn bucket handle tear removed. Was progressing nicely with rehab, full ROM etc. , last week I slipped stepping off wet carpet onto tile, did not fall but felt and heard snap crackle pop. The knee is swollen, very unstable when walking and pops, the doctor and my physical therapist feel the ACL is again torn and a possible meniscus tear. My question is (I have a MRI scheduled for next week) what is the course of action after already going through the prior surgery? Can a repaired ACL be reapired again or should it just be left alone?
Thanks for your time
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:20 am

User avatar Hello,
The ACL deficiency can be fixed again however depending on the extent of damage conservative treatment (physical therapy) may be tried first. If meniscus damage coincides with ACL tear (in this case a reinjury), surgery option is more likely.

Hopefully the extent of damage isn't great enough for another repair and you can rehab the knee back to good health.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here