News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Sat On a Chair Without Back Support - Neural/Spinal Damage?

BobKim - Sun May 17, 2009 4:02 pm

The other day I just sat on a chair that didn't have the back support attached. It looks like this chair (http://www.furnitureinfashion.net/image ... _chair.jpg), but without the red support attached, so it's basically a pole-like shape. I was tired and sleep-deprived so I stupidly decided to sit down with my upper weight on that thin pole, thinking it would be just uncomfortable. Instead, when I put my weight on that thin pole, a pain shot through my back and my reflexes allowed me to get off the chair. My middle and lower back was aching throughout the day. Now it's fine (2nd day), but with some minimal aching. Is there permanent spinal/neural damage? I think it will heal completely by the 3rd day.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:07 pm

User avatar Hello,
The main nerves and spinal cord are seated deep within the spine protected from pointy pole chairs.

The sensation was likely due to local irritation of the skin or an awkward sitting position and should heal well within 7 days.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here