Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: lizfranc injury/shoulder injury

Asperatis - Sun May 17, 2009 8:17 pm

i guess i will start with my left shoulder
both injuries are from concerts (mosh pits) maybe i should stop.

back in 2007 warped tour i managed to pull or rip something in my shoulder, i couldnt lift my arm for a few hours without imense pain, for a while i couldnt lift it past about 120 degrees or so without imense pain, and from then on my shoulder has bothered me from time to time, all last year it never messed with me though.
i started hapkido( a form of martial arts) and along with working out for 2 years on and off, as much as possible without injury it seemed to mess with my shoulder, and im thinking its from all the punching. i couldnt lift my shoulder for awhile, but or have full mobility in it, i really havent sense the initial injury. after letting it rest for a week or two no working out or anything, it seems to get better and i get most mobility back without pain until i lift alot of weight or start throwing punches in martial arts class. Because of this lizfranc surgery ive just gotten done (april 27 2009) ive had to rest and cant really do martial arts or work out. I've gotten an MRI done on my shoulder and they said i might have tear in the back near the shoulder blade, my the pain is coming from my deltoid/rotary cuff. im not sure exactly where, on the side of my left shoulder. If there is any ideas on how to fix this problem or help it id appriciate it. Also i was doing some recovery before the surgery, i havent worked out on it hard for about 6 weeks, and i was doing PT exercises to help strengthen it (bungie thing)

the lizfranc initial injury happened on augest 13 2008, i was in a moshpit bare foot when some heavy guys landed on my foot, i thought for sure it was broken, my brother carried me out, i made it too the hospital after 2 hours or so. they did x rays, said i had sprained my ankle/foot and needed to stay off of it for awhile, they wrapped it, put a boot thing on it and sent me home. after a month of alot of pain still in my foot, i had went to the docter, my arch wasent right, and i had a lump on the inside of my foot were the lizfranc joint is. He xrayed it again and they found nothing. after another 2 weeks i was able to walk on it, and at the end of october i started martial arts, still having a bad limp from pain in begginning. towards november i was able to walk full speed again, and ive always been a slow walker. in november i got an mri on my foot because i was still having pain and i couldnt really run or jump on it. and the mri never got back to us until march when i got mri on my shoulder.

in january i was able to lift weight run jump everything on my foot, just pe killed me, jump ropes running and jumping jacks really hurt my foot, at that time i knew something was wrong. mid march my shoulder was hurting so bad from weights/pe class/ martial arts, i went in for an mri, and thats when they decided to send the results from the foot. and of course i had an abnormality in the lizfranc region (don't know medical name off the top of my head) so i went to an ortho asap and got weight bearing x-rays, the whole nine yards. he told me i needed surgery asap. i refused to miss prom april 4, and after that only able time was the 27th of april.

the nerve block i don't think worked, and it hurt like hell, i thought i was going to rip the railing off the bed. to fix it they had to put a screw or to in my foot, im not sure how many, where the cut is, etc., i will find out tuesday when i get this wrap taken off and get a check up on it. i believe its on the top of my foot, thats what it feels like,

i was wondering if my toes should be bruised colored? they are warm so im guessing the wrap isent too tight, and i can move them with a good ammount of pain, so i don't think its ok to do that, i can put my foot down without pain, just to balance. weight hurts on it.

how long will i be out? is there a could chance of full recovery after waiting so long before surgery? im 17 and the surgeon said i had youth and health on my side,

will i be ok to walk before augest? i think the stitching hurts now, not the screws. should it hurt this long?

how much longer can i expect to be out, my toes on the inside feel raw,
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:27 pm

Sounds like you have been through a lot lately.
The bruising on the toes is normal post op.

I would expect non weight bearing for 6 weeks after surgery. Your orthopedist will assess the healing and over time allow more weight. Do not put more weight on the foot than the surgeon allows as this would delay healing.

I agree that you have youth on your side as long as that youth does not cause more damage.

|