Question: t-4 compression fracture

silvers46 - Mon May 18, 2009 2:28 am

ok i have a few questions about this i don't really think my dr is being straight with everything he is very hard to understand (many different reasons) anyways i have a t-4 compression fracture i got playing semipro football and i wanted some answers just to see what others think. first off the fracture happened to make a long story short i collided with the other guy head to head (spiking) and face down felt popping all the way down my back and fell to the ground and couldnt breath. ended up after five minutes getting up and driving to hospital got there and they told me i had broke my t-4 now he drew a picture of what it looked like and said the the vertebrae had cracked in half about a 2mm split all the way through front to back top to bottom the front of it has compressed majorly more than 50% now its been 2 months and honestly i feel like im not getting any better i wake up in the morning feeling somewhat ok and through out the day i get a sharp annoying pain where the injury is and doesnt stop till i go to bed and rest and wake up same story. now what my main worry is that my work requires me to carry a 50lb ladder on my shoulder several times a day (utility work) is this injury ever going to heal enough where i wont really notice it unless im straining alot or using my back constantly or is this something to were i maybe should be considering another profession cuz im only 21 and have a 3 year old and would like to be able to enjoy playing with him right now the dr says its not the best idea to be carrying anything over 25lbs and not to much activity so if anyone has any experience with this same kind of injury or training on this i would appreciate some input and thank you for any help in advance and let me know if u need more info thanks again
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:17 pm

Thoracic compression fractures are usually stable however with more than 50% loss of vertebral body height and the type of injury and lasting pain, I would recommend seeing an orthopedist (one that works with spine fractures) and ask him to review the radiographs to see if this fracture is stable or not.

A treatment plan can then be organized based on this judgment.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|