News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Elbow Joint Surgery?

thenextrog - Wed May 20, 2009 1:59 am

I'm a college baseball player who pitches. I'm a senior Right-Handed Pitcher and I've been pitching since my Junior year in High School. I've never had a ligament tear in my elbow, and I don't have a torn UCL. The problem is that I can't straighten my elbow anymore and my tricep tendons get inflamed and my bursae keeps getting inflamed. I am very interested in getting Arthroscopic surgery, because I know that my elbow needs to get cleaned up. The only things that I can think that probably need to be done (to answer why my elbow won't straighten all the way) is: (1) I have a lot of scar tissue from throwing a baseball that needs to be removed, (2) I have bone chips that need to be removed, (3) my bones have enlarged and need to be shaved down to the room for my elbow to move, (4) I have an injured bursae sac that needs to either be removed or repaired. All of these may apply, but in your opinion what is the most likely cause of the impingement in my elbow joint. Nothing structural is damaged, but something is not right. Something needs to be done, and I'm going to continue my baseball career in Professional Baseball, and this can be done over this off-season. What do you think?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:15 pm

User avatar Hello,
I am not so sure the UCL is not involved unless the MRI and clinical exam was inconclusive. Trauma or chronic inflammation of the UCL can affect the ROM of the elbow and produce localized swelling. All the other ideas you mentioned are plausible as well.

If not done already, I would recommend an MRI and consult with an orthopedist who specializes in arm injuries in pitchers.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here