Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: MRI shows bulging disc

bonsheen - Thu May 21, 2009 10:04 am

I have continuous back and neck pain which makes it hard for me to do everyday things. Bending is a big problem, if i squat or bend i find it hard to get back up.
my legs do not seem to have the strength to bring me up.
I cannot lift anything, but can carry quite easily.
everyday chores are difficult. I sometimes have back spasms or my neck feels like a muscle has popped out.

I went for an MRI and i was told that every disc from my neck down is bulging and the bottom disc may have arthritis i think this is the L5.
Is there help for this, will i get better or will i be in pain the rest of my life and crippled someday?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Anytime a bulging disc is seen on MRI the radiologist will report the severity (mild, moderate, severe) and whether or not the bulging is pressing on a nerve root or the spinal cord.

Bulging discs along the entire spine is unusual. More typical is bulging disc in the cervical and lumbar spine.

The first step is to consider the severity of the bulging disc and whether they are causing the symptoms.

Most of the time, physical therapy and pain management is attempted before surgery.

And your family physician can coordinate your care.

All the best to you.

|