News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: MRI shows bulging disc

bonsheen - Thu May 21, 2009 10:04 am

I have continuous back and neck pain which makes it hard for me to do everyday things. Bending is a big problem, if i squat or bend i find it hard to get back up.
my legs do not seem to have the strength to bring me up.
I cannot lift anything, but can carry quite easily.
everyday chores are difficult. I sometimes have back spasms or my neck feels like a muscle has popped out.

I went for an MRI and i was told that every disc from my neck down is bulging and the bottom disc may have arthritis i think this is the L5.
Is there help for this, will i get better or will i be in pain the rest of my life and crippled someday?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:46 pm

User avatar Hello,
Anytime a bulging disc is seen on MRI the radiologist will report the severity (mild, moderate, severe) and whether or not the bulging is pressing on a nerve root or the spinal cord.

Bulging discs along the entire spine is unusual. More typical is bulging disc in the cervical and lumbar spine.

The first step is to consider the severity of the bulging disc and whether they are causing the symptoms.

Most of the time, physical therapy and pain management is attempted before surgery.

And your family physician can coordinate your care.

All the best to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here