News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Compound Tib/Fib, Fib offset after surgery

snlphillips - Thu May 21, 2009 1:20 pm

I need a second opinion.

I completely broke my tib and fib, both bones poked through the skin. I went through two surgeries to fix me up. The emergency surgeon put a rod through the tibia but didn't do anything to hold the fibula in place. I just had post op X-rays taken and my fibula has a huge offset. The doctor that performed the surgery said it will heal fine. Please take a look at these X-rays and let me know if you think I need to have another operation.

Thank you,
Sean

Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:55 pm

User avatar Hello,
The post operative x-ray looks good. Since the fibula plays such a little, if any, role in weight bearing of the lower limb it is reasonable to allow the bone to heal without relocating it.

It may pose more problems trying to relocate the fibula then to leave it to heal.

Also discussing this with your orthopedist is a good route to take.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here