Question: Compound Tib/Fib, Fib offset after surgery

snlphillips - Thu May 21, 2009 1:20 pm

I need a second opinion.

I completely broke my tib and fib, both bones poked through the skin. I went through two surgeries to fix me up. The emergency surgeon put a rod through the tibia but didn't do anything to hold the fibula in place. I just had post op X-rays taken and my fibula has a huge offset. The doctor that performed the surgery said it will heal fine. Please take a look at these X-rays and let me know if you think I need to have another operation.

Thank you,
Sean

Image

Image
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:55 pm

The post operative x-ray looks good. Since the fibula plays such a little, if any, role in weight bearing of the lower limb it is reasonable to allow the bone to heal without relocating it.

It may pose more problems trying to relocate the fibula then to leave it to heal.

Also discussing this with your orthopedist is a good route to take.

|