Question: Fractured Pinky Toe

policegirl01 - Thu May 21, 2009 4:50 pm

I stubbed my pinky toe on a table last Friday. I waited until Monday to get it looked at because I didn't think anything was wrong with it. The x-rays showed that it had two fractures: one on each side of the bone. The x-ray is being sent to a radiologist to make sure that nothing else is wrong with it. I was wondering about how long it normally take for toe fractures to heal?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Sorry to hear about your toe. Even fractured pinky toes can result in great pain.

Six weeks for the bone to heal given there is no more trauma. So protect the toe and foot and all should be well.

kuznitc - Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:52 am

Is there anything that can be done besides taping the toe to the toe next to it?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:26 pm

If the fractured bones are displaced enough, you may require a realignment and a pin to secure the bone pieces.
Consult an orthopedist if the radiologist reports a displaced, angulated or shattered bone.
Pain medication is also important.

|