News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: landed on fully extended knee, anything to worry about?

djspanky1303 - Thu May 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Last night I was playing badminton in my yard, when I jumped and landed on my knee, which was fully extended at the moment of impact. I do not remember hearing any pop or anything. I did collapse to the ground and screamed harder than I can ever remember. A few minutes after it happened, I could walk almost normal. For the remainder of that day and all day today, my knee has been popping and giving out on me without warning. It seems that whenever I put weight on it and fully extend and lock it, is when it gives out on me. It seems very weak to me, and I am tentative walking and moving about now. The reason it bothers me, is because I am a former baseball catcher and football lineman who has never had issues with my knees. But I last participated in these sports about a year ago. Should I be worried about this? Or is my knee just hyper extended? Once again, I don't really have too much pain, just weakness and slight discomfort.

Please let me know what you think this could be.

Thanks,
Joe
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:19 pm

User avatar Hello,
With the weakness and giving out symptoms, you may have suffered some internal ligament damage or cartilage damage making the knee unstable.

In any case, the knee should be examined by a physician.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here