Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: landed on fully extended knee, anything to worry about?

djspanky1303 - Thu May 21, 2009 8:54 pm

Last night I was playing badminton in my yard, when I jumped and landed on my knee, which was fully extended at the moment of impact. I do not remember hearing any pop or anything. I did collapse to the ground and screamed harder than I can ever remember. A few minutes after it happened, I could walk almost normal. For the remainder of that day and all day today, my knee has been popping and giving out on me without warning. It seems that whenever I put weight on it and fully extend and lock it, is when it gives out on me. It seems very weak to me, and I am tentative walking and moving about now. The reason it bothers me, is because I am a former baseball catcher and football lineman who has never had issues with my knees. But I last participated in these sports about a year ago. Should I be worried about this? Or is my knee just hyper extended? Once again, I don't really have too much pain, just weakness and slight discomfort.

Please let me know what you think this could be.

Thanks,
Joe
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:19 pm

With the weakness and giving out symptoms, you may have suffered some internal ligament damage or cartilage damage making the knee unstable.

In any case, the knee should be examined by a physician.

|