News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Ribs Popping Out/Degenerative Disk Desease

Nephie - Thu May 21, 2009 10:27 pm

My ribs are continuely popping out. I had the right rib under my shoulder blade popped back in today and 2 hours later it popped back out. I am starting to wonder if this could be linked to my lower back disks degenerating and losing their hydration and compressing. I've also been diagnosed with costacondritis this past january/feburary. They aren't able to give me anti-inflamitories for pain, due to my allergies. Are these three problems related or should I keep treating them separate? The rib pain is starting to numb my shoulder at on set. The rate that my ribs pop out I am constantly in pain and needing to visit the chiropractor, however I don't want to put a bandaid on the issue, since it keeps happening. I'm wondering as well if there is a surgery or procedure that will pin or screw my ribs in place. I have a one year old who is only going to grow and become more of a handful. Getting my ribs, back and sternum fixed a.s.a.p. is a must. Any ideas or advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Nephie
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:55 pm

User avatar Hello,
The costochondritis may be related to rib dislocation. In other words, a dislocating rib may aggravate the anterior attachment of the rib.

Ribs which pop out of place tend to reoccur and can be difficult to keep in place. Chiropractors or osteopaths can relocate and may need multiple visits as needed to relocate the rib.

The lumbar discs do not affect the rib dislocation directly.

Besides the chiropractor work, a general exercise program will be helpful including upper body i.e. anterior and posterior chest conditioning.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here