News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Ribs and scapula fissure fracture

pharm77 - Sat May 23, 2009 2:14 pm

I am a 31 years man. I had a hairline (fissure) fracture in the first and second rib of the right chest and also a hairline fracture in the back of the right shoulder due to an attack with sticks 4 years ago.
Recently I felt a pain in the chest ONLY when I was playing a basketball match. I did one view x-ray on the chest and two views on the right shoulder to make sure that everything is fine. Here are the x-ray results:

X-RAY OF THE CHEST AND BILATERAL RIBS:

Views of the bilateral ribs and the chest were obtained.

The study failed to reveal any obvious fracture or dislocation. No pneumothorax or pleural effusions were seen. The cardiac size was normal. The lungs appear to be unremarkable. The mediastinum and the soft tissues were unremarkable.

X-RAY OF THE RIGHT SHOULDER:

Two views of the right shoulder obtained reveal osseous structure without any acute bony findings. The soft tissues and the bony mineralization were normal.

The x-ray did not show any symptoms of a fracture according to the radiologist report. Is that possible for the ribs and shoulder bones to be completely healed within 4 years that it doesn't show any past fracture in the x-ray?

N.B. please reply as soon as possible, because I need your opinion to comfort me as I am afraid of that pain i felt to be something else.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:26 pm

User avatar Hello,
Yes the x-ray report is reliable for no fracture line as 4 years has passed since the injury.

Fracture lines may disappear when healed in a few months time...so 4 years is plenty of time to heal the fracture.

The chest pain could be something non related to the injury. Consider the lungs and heart as sources of pain. Your physician can ask the appropriate history questions and do an examination to determine if either of these organs is causing the chest pain during basketball.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here