Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Sudden swelling and pain in lower back for over 2 months

bailey2 - Sun May 24, 2009 9:26 pm

I woke up in the middle of the night with a very stiff and sore back. At that point i couldn't go back to sleep because the pain was pretty bad. I had previously bought a workout video and had been working out the previous night. I'm very active, I jog, workout with weights, swim and bike in the summer time. Also, my job is very physical as i clean houses five days a week. I always had mechanical sore back for many years, but for some reason i feel like this pain is different. I've seen a chiropractor for two weeks and did the ultrasound, but no result and it actually hurt more after the treatment. I then did physio for a couple of weeks and i was given stretches for my top front left muscle who is pretty stiff, but that didn't work and it hurt more after. I then had a x-ray done and it showed nothing, but maybee my pelvis twisted a bit. I also, had a pelvic/stomach cat scan done in case of internal problems. Now my doctor put me on Naproxen 500mg for inflamation and i also take Tylenol 500mg when the pain gets too bad. I can't do any activities that were mentioned. I still work, but i've cut back on my hours and have already lost a client over this problem. My doctor says that it's probably mechanical, but why is it that i was jogging and working out the night before without any problems and now if i even attempt to do any of these activities it doesn't hurt at the time, but usually does for 2-3 day after. I'm concerned that this problem as been going on for over 2 months and no one can tell me why i have this pain and some inflamation.
 bailey2 - Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:15 am

Hi, It's me again if this can help I've just seen my doctor and we have noticed that the swelling comes from the sacrum area. It almost feels like the sacrum it self is swollen. I'm now scheduled for a bone scan and it scares the heck out of me. Since then I've felt some really weird pains all over my body, It's like pains in my bones everywere, but they only last for a day and then they go. I've now stopped working to see what would happen and the swelling has come down some, but the sacrum still looks kinda swelled up. There's also a gland under my left armpit that is kinda giving a hard time. It swells and hurts, but I know that I've been under alot of stress with all of this so maybee It's part of stress. I'm so scared because my brother in-law passed away 2 summers ago with a big tumour in the sacrum area. Please if anyone can give me a idea what this problem is feel free to answer back...
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:31 pm

This sounds like a flare up of the mechanical back pain.

Most of the activities you describes are high intensity and you may need to slow down a bit and allow the back to heal while maintaining a certain level of fitness.

For example instead of running, walk. Ease up on the weight training. Continue swimming. And continue stretching. Ice and moist heat may also help.
With time and these measures, you may find some relief.

bailey2 - Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:37 am

Thank you very much for your reply,
I still worry as this problem as been there for now 3 months. I now stopped taking the muscle relaxant and the anti-inflamatory because they wern't doing much. The swelling came down a bit, but not all of it is gone. I now know that the problem is comming from the sacrum area. My doctor feels that the problem might be from bone and not muscle anymore so last week I had a bone scan and will find out the results later on this week. I'm so scared that this might be cancer now because I was watching the monitor as I was being scanned and noticed that I had a white spot on my spine, one just past my last rib cage and my sacrum was like a white ball. When I got home I then went on the internet to see what that ment and it said that those can be hot spots like cancer. I have less swelling and pain probably because I cut my hours at work in half and do a little walk around the lake everyday and feel that it's not too bad. Also, with the swelling down I can sleep better at night. Please do these symptoms meen anything to you? Besides that I'm very healthy, I eat well and I haven't lost a pound. The only thing I should add to this is that I don't have any recent injuries, but I do have a fractured tailbone from a previous injurie from many years ago.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:39 pm

User avatar The bone scan is a good idea with back pain that wakes you at night and not relieved with the usual remedies (including time).
You will find out more in terms of seriousness and cause when the bone scan comes back.

bailey2 - Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:35 pm

I just got results from the bone scan it was negative, but showed that i have free fluid in the pelvic area. My doctors has ordered a ultrasound of the pelvic area because she suspects that the problem might be coming from a hormonal source like maybee a ovarie causing the problem. So just waiting for the results. Very releived that the bone scan was negative. Thanks!

|