Question: Broken tibia

PhilBrod1986 - Mon May 25, 2009 10:09 pm

[img]Hello,

My name is Phil, im 22, 6ft3, and am in good health apart from the issue im talking about. In May 2008 i came of my scooter, and as a result broke my tibia no more than a couple of centimetres above my ankle.

Immediately i went to my accident and emergency where they drew the conclusion that my tibia was broken. They put me in a temporary cast, and i had to return the following day to have my proper cast fitted. Indeed i did so and they said i was looking at having the cast on for 6 weeks. They could not fit me in on the 6th week, so i returned on the 7th where again i saw the consultant who said that i was now allowed to weight bare, and that it would be quite uncomfortable for a number of weeks after. On my return appointment the hospital did not take an xray which i thought was slightly odd, but went along with it.
[img][img][img][img][/img][/img][/img][/img]

Now more than a year on there are still issues. My right leg (the one that was fractured) is nothing like the left, has been bruised since i broke it, is quite swollen all the time, and in some cases it gets to the point where i cant stand, and again the swelling gets worse causing me quite a lot of pain.

In the last year i have seen 4 Dr's. In the first six months after having the cast removed they advised this was normal while it is propperly healed. I then saw my company dr who again said i can expect discomfort for around 12 months. It got to a point where i made my dr refer me for xrays for which im waiting the results.

I was wanting to know what you thought.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:54 pm

It would be good to see any follow up x-ray to see if this bone has healed.

If it has not healed (non union), the tibia may need to be fixed operatively.

Another concern is infection. Is the bone infected? A bone infection would require a bone biopsy and IV antibiotics.

So, these concerns should have been or will be addressed as you see the follow up x-ray results and discuss it with the orthopedist.

|