Question: Broken clavicle lump

the - Mon May 25, 2009 10:35 pm

I broke my clavicle, which was a green stick fracture, then rebroke it 9 weeks later. Now it seems to be growing a bone lump not on the actual spot of thebreak. Is this bad?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:09 pm

Not at all bad to have a lump on the clavicle following a fracture.

With clavicle fractures the bone is usually not reset and no surgery is needed.

You will need to watch for numbness, tingling, pins and needles, and/or weakness in the hand on the side of the fracture. Occasionally, a nerve gets damaged with clavicle fractures and can cause these symptoms.

Your orthopedist can reassess the fracture at the 6-8 week mark to make sure the bone is healing properly.