Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Herniated/Ruptured Discs In Lower Lumbar Region

rachelkatz - Tue May 26, 2009 2:32 pm

For a month and a half now, my boyfriend has been suffering from SEVERE, stabbing pain, which started after a long drive in the car. It wasn't as painful at first, but has gradually gotten worse over time. It does not go away, and is causing some SERIOUS problems in every aspect!

He began seeing an orthopedic doctor approximately 3 1/2 weeks ago. First, an X-ray was taken--and came back fine. It was another 2 weeks before the doctor finally even prescribed him an MRI, and in between he had to visit the Emergency Room. He's been diagnosed with 2 ruptured discs (maybe herniated, whichever "leaks" the fluids from spine) and the doctor says the liquid is spilling onto a nerve (not the sciatic). In the past 3 1/2 weeks, he's been prescribed 7 or 8 different medications--4 different pain killers, anti-inflamatories and muscle relaxers--and not ONE has worked ... Nor, has the combination of several together.

He hasn't slept for more than 2-3 hours a night in about 2 weeks, now. It hurts him to sit, stand, or lay down. The pain--which is in his right "cheek", not his back--has now shot down his entire leg, to the heel of his foot. He says his whole leg is numb to the touch, but that he CAN feel the pain. His bowel movements have slowed to about once a week and his urinations have become hard to control.

The doctor--a real !@$#%^&%, if you ask me--has now told him he needs Physical Therapy. HOW WILL THIS HELP A MAN WHO IS IN EXCRUTIATING PAIN EVERYTIME HE MOVES??? Can someone please explain this to me??? My boyfriend was in the army for 12 years and has broken more bones in his body than humanly possible ... He's no wuss when it comes to pain, so I know this is serious. He says 'the doctor knows what he's talking about', but I keep insisting he get a second opinion. (MEN!) If Physical Therapy IS the answer, how long will it take him to stop hurting? Is surgery safe? Are there faster methods that aren't very risky? Someone please help ...
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:35 pm

With all of these symptoms, consult a neurosurgeon and most physical therapists would not touch this.

|