Question: Pins, and casts, and external fixators, oh my!

LisaLPharmD - Tue May 26, 2009 6:14 pm

I broke my wrist in multiple places. I have an external fixator and some pins.Will this cast stay on? The cast is hard in some areas and just Ace bandaged in others, and it's up past my elbow. I'm not sure if this stays on the entire 6 weeks or so that I have the external fixator and pins, or if it comes off after a week or so, like with a plate, and the pins and fixator stay. I'm in a wedding Saturday!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:15 pm

The cast which you are describing sounds actually like a splint. Usually the splints can be removed in order to clean the skin but depends on the instructions from your orthopedist. He may want the splint left on around the clock to prevent motion of the wrist. A splint was used instead of a cast because of the external fixator.

The external fixator will remain until the bone fracture sites are stable - up to six weeks. Again, it depends on the extent of the fracture and how well you heal.