News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Pins, and casts, and external fixators, oh my!

LisaLPharmD - Tue May 26, 2009 6:14 pm

I broke my wrist in multiple places. I have an external fixator and some pins.Will this cast stay on? The cast is hard in some areas and just Ace bandaged in others, and it's up past my elbow. I'm not sure if this stays on the entire 6 weeks or so that I have the external fixator and pins, or if it comes off after a week or so, like with a plate, and the pins and fixator stay. I'm in a wedding Saturday!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:15 pm

User avatar Hello,
The cast which you are describing sounds actually like a splint. Usually the splints can be removed in order to clean the skin but depends on the instructions from your orthopedist. He may want the splint left on around the clock to prevent motion of the wrist. A splint was used instead of a cast because of the external fixator.

The external fixator will remain until the bone fracture sites are stable - up to six weeks. Again, it depends on the extent of the fracture and how well you heal.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here