Question: Femur rod causing back pain?

rach2424 - Wed May 27, 2009 5:50 pm

I was in an auto accident in 1998 where I fractured my right femur. At that time my doctor placed a metal rod through my femur. For the past 11 years (since my auto accident) I have also had severe back pain. However, nothing is showing up in CAT Scans, MRI's, X-Rays, etc.

I noticed about a year ago that the inner corner of my right shoe (by my big toe) is warn down. This is true with every pair of shoes that I own. I did not have this problem before breaking my femur and having the metal rod put in my femur. This proves that I am walking differently, causing my right foot to drag a little against the ground when I walk.

I am wondering if it is possible that the metal rod placement could be a little off, causing me to walk differently, which could be creating my back pain? Is that a crazy thought?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:33 pm

Sometimes a femur nailing causes a short limb. A short limb may cause both back pain and wearing of the toe area on the shoe.

Another consideration is drop foot due to nerve damage in the back. The ankle dorsiflexors will be weak with muscle testing. This is less likely than the short leg giving the normal lumbar tests.

Ask your physician about the potential of a short leg.

|