Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower Back Pain

clk0205 - Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:32 am

Hi, I'm 19 years old and I am experiencing severe lower back pain. I have been experiencing this pain for a few months now, but it seems to get worse everyday lately. The pain is in my lower back and in my lower right side as well. Last time I had pain similar to this was when I had kidney stones. The pain went away soon thereafter, so that is why I don't think it's kidney stones this time. I'm not exactly sure what to do about it, or if I should go see a regular doctor. The pain hits whenever I have been standing for a period of time (even just after taking a shower). If anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!
Crystal
 Dr. A. Saif - Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:41 pm

User avatar Dear Crystal,

Sorry to hear about you pains...
You say that you have had renal colic and these pains are similar to that...so this is still a possibility I guess. Renal colic is gripey (feels like someone squeezing and letting go, coming in waves), often localised to you our loin, and radiating down to the groin. Sometimes associated with blood in the urine, as the stone is passed the pain disappears comletely. A person who has had renal colic once is more likely than the average person to get it again.

The one distinguishing feature between renal colic and low back pain originating from the spine is that renal colic is not relieved or worsened by posture, but musculato-skeletal is aggravated by movement and relieved by rest.

If it is musculo-skeletal the treatment is usually rest, anti-inflammatories, and gentle exercise. You say that the pain occurs more frequently if you have been standing, for sometime...and this makes it possible that it is mechanical. Most are usually self limiting, however if they persist beyond 3 or 4 weeks then formal medical advice should be sought.

Regards

Saif

|