Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: 17 year old

fell22 - Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:11 pm

My 17 year old son was just check for scoliosis but the results came back 8% on one side and 7% on the other side. He has back pain which bothers him. Additionally, he has 6 large deep stretch marks on this back. I don't know if the two are related or not. Any ideas on if I should do something even though the xrays aren't that bad, etc.
 Kathy C, RN - Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:34 pm

Hi Fell,
Scoliosis occurs relatively frequently in the general population, and its frequency depends upon the magnitude of the curve being described. Scoliosis of greater than 25 degrees has been reported in about 1.5/1000 persons in the United States. Most curves can be treated nonoperatively if they are detected before they become too severe. However, 60 % of curvatures in rapidly growing prepubertal children will progress. Therefore, scoliosis screening is done in schools across America and several other countries. This screening is probably not necessary until the fifth grade. Beyond that point, boys and girls should be examined every 6 - 9 months. Generally, curvatures less than 30 degrees will not progress after the child is skeletally mature. Once this has been established, scoliosis screening and monitoring can usually be stopped. However, with greater curvatures, the curvature may progress at about 1 degree per year in adults. In this population, monitoring should be continued.
If scoliosis is neglected, the curves may progress dramatically, creating significant physical deformity and even cardiopulmonary problems with especially severe curves. Currently, scoliosis is treated successfully by special braces, electrical stimulation, surgery, or by combinations of these three techniques.

Generally, scoliosis is treated by orthopedic surgeons with special training in spinal problems. However, radiographic scoliosis examinations are ordered by a wide variety of other physicians, most of whom look toward the radiologist as the local musculoskeletal expert, after the orthopedist. Therefore, one must know how to read these films and how to dictate a coherent and helpful interpretation of them.

The treatment prescribed for scoliosis, kyphosis or lordosis varies with the individual patient. Severity and location of the curve, age, potential for further growth and general health of the patient all must be taken into account. A mild curvature (up to 20 degrees) generally needs only periodic observation to watch for signs of further progression. Bracing is the usual treatment for children and adolescent with curves of 25-40 degrees, and in other special circumstances.

As for the stretch marks was your son overweight and then lost it?? I don't see a connection but I could be wrong.
I hope this helps.
 babygirl18 - Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:51 pm

hi,
Im an 18 year old female who has had surgery for scoliosis. If you or your son have any questions about scoliosis i would be glad to answer them for the both of you. Is the scoliosis getting worse or is it pretty much staying the same? Again, i would be happy to answer any questions or concerns for you. Ive been through it all with scoliosis lol so i know a lot about it.

|