News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Leg Numbness

Jovine - Thu May 28, 2009 4:24 pm

I had spine surgery about 5 years ago. I have 2 screws holding my L5 together. Both spurs were broken and it was broken in the middle. My L4 and L5 were supposed to be fused, but the fusion didn't take. I am now having numbness in my upper left thigh. It starts with a mild pain and then goes numb shooting down to about my knee. I also have it on the outside of the same leg that goes all the way to the foot. Is this a pinched nerve in the spine? I have sciatica in both buttocks that shoot all the way to the feet. I have not had an EMG, or mylogram since about 8 months after surgery. That is when they found that the fusion didn't fuse. I know that I have a disc problem in my neck too because my arms to go numb to my fingers. I was told that I have spinal deteriation. Is there anything besides more surgery that will help? Cortisone shots do absolutely nothing for me.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:59 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would certainly see if a neurosurgeon - perhaps the same one who did the initial surgery - to review your case.

You have enough symptoms to at least warrant a neurological evaluation including images of the spine and perhaps another EMG.

If there is instability in the spine causing symptoms, surgery is likely the best course but you should discuss your options with the neurosurgeon.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here