News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: coccyx fracture? also L4/5 and L5/S1 ruptured discs

Melly75 - Fri May 29, 2009 8:25 am

Hello all,
I had a bad fall landing on my lower back in February. An MRI indicated 2 ruptured L4/5 and L5/S1 discs. An ortho sugeon ordered an xray of my pelvis and found no fracture. I have continued to experience severe lower back pain and can hardly sit (at all) and have difficulty bending, walking and doing daily chores eg. hanging washing, making beds etc.
I saw a neurosurgeon yesterday (25th May) in our capital city and after looking at the mri and pelvis xray he said that there was a definite fracture of the coccyx. I saw my local GP today, back in my country town, and he also concluded there being a fracture. I had more xrays today and the report is stating that there is no fracture...???
Would this fracture have healed within the few months?
Should I get another opinion?
Please help, I am at my wits end with not knowing a diagnosis and getting the appropriate treatment.
Any reply is appreciated, thank you
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:16 pm

User avatar Hello,
There is not much to correct with a coccyx fracture. It heals on its own without intervention. Sitting can be bothersome but standing and lying should be ok.

I think the question becomes: is the back pain from the coccyx or from the herniated disk. (or both) If the pain is from the disk, is surgery required?

It is also important to monitor neurological symptoms (numbness, tingling, and pins and needles in either leg; leg weakness; loss of reflexes) which may result from bulging disks. With unresolved neurological symptoms, surgery becomes a pronounced possibility.

All the best to you.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here