Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Severe mid and lower back pain

Caitybug - Sat May 30, 2009 11:33 am

I awoke yesterday to the worst back pain of my entire life. I had pretty bad sciatic pain during my pregnancy and that was nothing compared to this. Also, I have had stiffness and pain in my right calf, ankle and foot for the past 2 weeks. The pain in my back starts in the area of my bra line and encompasses my entire lower back. It hurts to move, breathe, sit, stand, etc. Please help!!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:23 pm

The pain near the bra line with difficulty breathing is likely from muscle spasms secondary to the sciatica flare up (right leg symptoms for 2 weeks).

The immediate plan calls for muscle relaxation and pain control with medicine and/or hot and cold packs.

Then it is activity as tolerated and gentle exercise.

If needed physical therapy for a few weeks.

If symptoms worsen despite conservative treatment you may need to see a back specialist (orthopedist or neurologist).

|