News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Lower Back Pain

Kirsto - Sun May 31, 2009 6:33 pm

Hi,

I have been experiencing cronic pain along the right hand side of my lower back for the past four days. WIthout trying to diagnose myself, from doing a bit of reasearch it seems to be in the same area (just above my buttocks) Sciatica would arise. These shooting pains only occur when I move into certian positions, for example when bendning over or when sitting down.

The problem started when I rejoined the gym on Thursday after a year without much physical activity. It seemed better the next day but when I went back again on Saturday it made things worse again. My activities included Yoga, Pilates, a weight programme and some light swimming.

I am just wondering what your opinion is regarding what this could be? Also what could I do as a form of pain relief in the short term and/or what is the best thing I can do as a long term solution.

Thank you for your time

Regards
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 pm

User avatar Hello,
Sciatica can cause shooting pain from the lower back ... so can sacroiliac problems.

You may need an adjustment of the back (chiropractor or osteopath) to re align the bone (either lumbar or sacro iliac joint).

For short term pain relief, use NSAIDs and ice. After 72 hours switch to heating pad. Some liniments like Aspercreme (salicylic acid compound) and menthol base ointments mixed together with a heating pad is helpful.

For the long term, maintaining good spine health is important. This include good body mechanics, low impact aerobics, core strengthening, stretching tight muscles and good nutrition.

Take care and God bless.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here