News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Mid Back Pain due to possible injury?

Cookie521 - Sun May 31, 2009 10:27 pm

I am 17 years old and several weeks ago, about a month, i woke up with a sore feeling in the center of my back just to the right of my spine. At first i thought i had just slept on it the wrong way, but it lasted for several days, i took note of it and realised that it started to get worse for about another week. I could not lean on my back and i usually carry my backpack on my right shoulder and i was not able to do this because of soreness after a few more days the pain subsided but did not go away and every few days the pain would get stronger, i still feel soreness every few days, and im wondering what could be the cause.

I amd right handed, play no sports and have not had any surgeries or diagnosed diseases

my ideas are:
carrying my backpack/purses only on right side
soreness from sleeping on it incorrectly that is taking a long time to go away
or a fall that i had several months ago.
i had slipped off of a school bus landing on my bottom, the only pain or bruising that i significantly remember was on my bottom and my elbow however i have heard that such falls can cause misalignment and im also wondering if its possible that this is a pain or soreness form that injury that i just hadn't immediatley noticed.

and is this a pain i should be concerned about?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
You have done an excellent job in assessing your condition.

The fall and the back pack could both cause the pain you are feeling.

This back pain would be termed mechanical or musculoskeletal in origin (versus neurological eg a disc bulge or pinched nerve or arthritic).

So time usually heals these types of back pain but you should wear the back pack over both shoulders to prevent future pain.

In the short term, use ice and NSAIDs for several days. Moist heat as needed after 72 hours of using ice.

This will also give you some incentive to start a walking or swimming program (general exercise) for overall good spine health - at least 3 days a week.

If the pain continues, see your family physician for an evaluation.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here