Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Pain in back just below left sholder blad, under back ribs

re_becca - Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Hello:

For the last few days I've had pain in my back, underneith my sholder blade. If I touch my right side on the same spot, I can the lower part of my back ribs. If I touch the left side that hurts all I feel is pain.

When I was a teen I wore a back brace for kyphosis (not to be confused with skolisos). But this pain doesn't feel like that sort of pain. It actually feels more like a sharp stabbing pain that is not ignorable.

I'm almost wondering if it could be kidney pain, but the kidneys are lower than that. Arn't they?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Kidney pain is lower and is not reproducible with palpation so this must be in the muscles or skeletal areas.

The history of kyphosis may tell us something. It is possible that the kyphosis is still present or has resumed and causing some pain. It would be worthwhile having a physician check out the spinal alignment in office and with radiograph.

For pain relief, try NSAIDs and ice or heat. Specific exercise can be prescribed by a physical therapist.

|