News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Hi iam having lower spine probs and numbness in thighs

Diligent - Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi iam having a lot of lower back pain in lumbar cocxy region have had this for years but since i lost my balance n hurt my knee i fell over the dog rolled onto r leg and have since been having numbess that has happened while sitting for half an hour both thighs and back i got up and like all lower half of my body wasnt their ie numbness then tingling after a while then when sat again today lower back numb i got up to go to loo and still had numbness for 15mins this is annoying especially as i had probs before this happened numbness tingling muscle spasms loss of balance when walking like being drunk.

I have said this to doc but he just thinks i have back problem how iam i going to get this evaluated to see whats the cause.

Thankyou diligent.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:27 pm

User avatar Hello Irene,
The numbness in the legs after sitting on the loo or in a regular chair for long periods of time is a normal event for many people without back problems.

What is of concern is the loss of balance and quickening of the numbness with sitting. I would be suspect of nerve involvement in the lumbar spine. You may even check the cervical spine as stenosis there can cause loss of balance.

The next step would be an MRI of the lumbar spine and perhaps cervical spine which can be ordered through your family physician.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here