News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Congenital nonfusion of vertebra?

mplsquestion - Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:22 am

Hi!

I went to the doctor recently because of a persistent cough, so after x-rays I got a letter detailing the findings. One of the notes reads, "there is a congenital nonfusion of the T1." After searching google I can't quite figure out what that means, and what originally caused it. It can't be serious, because as far as I can tell my back is just fine but I am curious to know what the deal is :) Also, could this be linked to my scoliosis or the malformation of my left ribcage? Likely not but still, interesting.

Thanks for any ideas!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:08 pm

User avatar Hello,
T1 is the first vertebrae of the thoracic spine.

It would interesting and informative to see the films or discussed with the radiologist to what he saw. I assume the non fusion is in the vertebral body. If this is the case, you may be predisposed to scoliosis of compression fracture - to what probability is unclear.

Treatment is watching the scoliosis to make sure it is not progressing and maintaining healthy lifestyle for the spine. Good diet and regular exercise and no smoking.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here