Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Congenital nonfusion of vertebra?

mplsquestion - Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:22 am

Hi!

I went to the doctor recently because of a persistent cough, so after x-rays I got a letter detailing the findings. One of the notes reads, "there is a congenital nonfusion of the T1." After searching google I can't quite figure out what that means, and what originally caused it. It can't be serious, because as far as I can tell my back is just fine but I am curious to know what the deal is :) Also, could this be linked to my scoliosis or the malformation of my left ribcage? Likely not but still, interesting.

Thanks for any ideas!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:08 pm

T1 is the first vertebrae of the thoracic spine.

It would interesting and informative to see the films or discussed with the radiologist to what he saw. I assume the non fusion is in the vertebral body. If this is the case, you may be predisposed to scoliosis of compression fracture - to what probability is unclear.

Treatment is watching the scoliosis to make sure it is not progressing and maintaining healthy lifestyle for the spine. Good diet and regular exercise and no smoking.

|