Question: Quadricep Pull/Tear?

artender - Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:00 am

I was diving into a pool-After walking a few steps I planted my feet on the board with pretty strong impact hoping to get off a fairly high dive. After I pushed down elevated, I heard a slight pop and then felt pain. I had ACL surgery 2 years ago, and was worried I tore it again. However, the pain is not as severe and there is no swelling. Also, there is no knee pain on the knee, below the knee or to the left or right. I also have full motion when I bend the knee. The pain is above the knee and slightly to the left. When I walk there is pain and it doesn't "feel right" If it helps to know, my patella tendon was used for the surgery.

Is this possibly a torn quad muscle? If so what is the best treatment and would swimming still be ok to do?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:12 pm

If the pain is localized to above the knee and above the patella, this is probably a quadricep sprain/strain. Whether the muscle is actually torn is a matter of degrees - some fibers may be overstretched but for the muscle to be completely torn or ruptured is very rare.
Nevertheless, for a strain or partially torn quadricep, treatment is initially rest, ice, compression and elevation and NSAID.
After 72 hours, switch to heat and gentle stretching. Return to activity as tolerated.

For certain, see a physician for an accurate diagnosis.

|