News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Quadricep Pull/Tear?

artender - Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:00 am

I was diving into a pool-After walking a few steps I planted my feet on the board with pretty strong impact hoping to get off a fairly high dive. After I pushed down elevated, I heard a slight pop and then felt pain. I had ACL surgery 2 years ago, and was worried I tore it again. However, the pain is not as severe and there is no swelling. Also, there is no knee pain on the knee, below the knee or to the left or right. I also have full motion when I bend the knee. The pain is above the knee and slightly to the left. When I walk there is pain and it doesn't "feel right" If it helps to know, my patella tendon was used for the surgery.

Is this possibly a torn quad muscle? If so what is the best treatment and would swimming still be ok to do?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:12 pm

User avatar Hello,
If the pain is localized to above the knee and above the patella, this is probably a quadricep sprain/strain. Whether the muscle is actually torn is a matter of degrees - some fibers may be overstretched but for the muscle to be completely torn or ruptured is very rare.
Nevertheless, for a strain or partially torn quadricep, treatment is initially rest, ice, compression and elevation and NSAID.
After 72 hours, switch to heat and gentle stretching. Return to activity as tolerated.

For certain, see a physician for an accurate diagnosis.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here