Question: severe pain in leg with healed break

chellygirl2 - Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:21 pm

i broke the bone on the outside of my right leg up near my knee over a month ago. I was told the break is healed but i still have severe paine in my leg from the break down thru me big toe. my knee is swollen and my leg and foot still swell. on a scale of 1-10 my pain is a 13, the pain is stabbing , aching, tearing, burning and generally unbearable. my leg is un confortable in any condition even if i am sitting on a couch with my leg put up on a pillow. i can bearly walk if at all. i currently have Complex Regional Pain Syndrom in my right arm, wrist, hand, and thumb. they have mentioned the disease has spread to my leg because of the injury, and the pain is similar but different at the same time. is there anything else that could be wrong or that i should ask about before i accept that my CRPS has spread. i have an appointment with my doctor in 2 days and want to be prepaired?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:37 pm

At four weeks the fracture is not likely healed and therefore a potential pain contributor.

I would ask about the fracture healing, about weight bearing status and about pain control measures (physical therapy, medicine, physical modalities, and TENS).
You may also ask for the health of the fibular nerve which runs near the proximal fibula on the upper outside part of the leg.

I am not sure why the pain syndrome would be in the upper extremity unless there was trauma there too in which case a full evaluation would be needed.

Take care and keep us posted on your progress.

|