Question: Severe swelling in both ankles, no recent injury

LeTigre2010 - Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:14 pm

I have severe swelling in both my ankles and on my foot all the way to my toes. I have injured both my ankles when I played sports. However, that was years ago. As revent as last year I had a hairline fracture in my right foot. But, I havent had any issues with that since it healed. The weird part is that the pain is only moderate. I can still walk on both ankles with little pain. But the severity of the swelling doesnt add up to the lack of pain im experiencing. Im concerned that this may be a symptom of something more serious. I was wondering if by the description I provided someone can tell me what might be the cause to the swelling.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:23 pm

You have reported bilateral foot swelling without recent trauma but remote history of ankle trauma and hairline fracture.
It does not seem that the old injuries are the cause of the problem since both feet have swollen at the same time.
I also assume you are not pregnant which can cause swelling.
Other areas to consider are:

At other times we do not find a cause and recommend exercise, salt restriction, and leg elevation.

Your family physician can take a thorough history and do a physical exam and order some blood test, urine analysis, x-ray if needed, and doppler ultrasound to check leg circulation if needed.

Take care and let us know how it goes.

|