Question: Did I break my hand

Lynda - Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:12 am

Three weeks ago, I hit the edge of my hand on the car door. It sent a shock wave up my arm. It took a few minutes for me to be able to move my hand.
Ever since then my little finger from the middle knuckle down to the end of my finger has been numb on the outside edge. The spot where I hit my hand if I press it just right sends a tingling up my hand to the end of my little finger. My hand never swole up or did I have any bruising.
The thing that worries me the worst is the numbness in my finger. Do you think I could have broken my hand or just caused some nerve damage? If you think nerve damage how long should I expect my finger to be numb?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:52 am

User avatar Hi Lynda,
Fractures usually exhibit swelling, bruising etc. In my opinion it sounds like it may be more like nerve compression. With the time duration that it has been, an evaluation is warranted.
 Dr. A. Saif - Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:03 pm

User avatar Hi there,

Rntdj is absolutely right. I would like to add that one problem that in particular may be relevant is the ulnar nerve as it enters "Guyon's canal" at your wrist. This can be associated with a fracture of the pisiform bone. If the numbness persists, and in particular if you have noticed any wasting or calwing of the hand, early surgical decompression is advised.

Regards

Saif

|