News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Cut tendon and healing time

adio - Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi, hope this isnt in the wrong section.

So my partner had a large glass bottle dropped on her foot and it cut her pretty good. A shard about 1 1/2 inches went in just below her ankle and up in a direction toward her ankle. The cut was cleaned, and stitched by emergency staff, we were at the running of the bulls in Spain, so no doctors, just ambulance staff. They did a good job though.

But now its been over a month since that and she still has some swelling in her foot, pain when she scrunches her toes together, when she points her foot and turns it to the right (she cut her left foot), and it is still sometimes tender to the touch. Though she can walk on it fine.

Were just wondering if this is kind of normal, I read it can take a long time for tendons to heal, if she in-fact did cut the tendon. Its about the only thing I can think of that would still be causing this. We're pretty confident that there is no glass in it, but I guess we cant be sure - I would have thought she would be in a lot more pain if glass was still moving around in there.

Thanks very much for any suggestions or help.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:34 pm

User avatar Hello,

Glass if large enough (more than a few millimeters) should show up on x-ray.

I doubt that the tendon was lacerated as this would affect the active motion of the foot (a tendon is the end of a muscle as it attaches to the bone).

I would expect a simple laceration which does not affect tendon, ligament, joints, or blood vessels to heal and not cause too much pain by 4 weeks.

A visit to your family physician would be in order to determine if there was more damage than just cut of the skin.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here