Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Back pain for about 9 years!

gymnast - Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:28 am

I am a 20 year old female who has done gymnastics for most of my life. My back started hurting when I was in 6th grade (2000). My family and doctors used to think that it was because of gymnastics, but over the years we have found other reasons. I was diagnosed with Scoliosis in 2000 when I went to a chiropractor. He also told me that my top two vertebrae were twisted and blocking a little bit of blood flow to my head with caused headaches. In 2006 I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Disease, three thoracic compression fractures, and schmoral nodes.

I stopped gymnastics full time in 2003 and only did high school gymnastics (3 months out of the year). I graduated 2007 and have not done gymnastics since and my pain is still here. I even have more symptoms (there's a lot and I'm not sure if they are relevant but I will list them anyways): constant lower back pain, hip pain, fatigue, morning nausea, constant joint pain (comes on randomly in different joints), headaches at least two or three times a week, tire and weaken easy, very painful spots in my neck when I wake up (sharp shooting pains when I move it but usually goes away in an hour), neck is still sore and stiff throughout the day, worsened memory, and I get colds frequently. Some of these symptoms come and go, but they are usually pretty frequent. I have done a routine blood test and everything was normal.

The reason I am on here is because none of my doctors will do more tests. I really want a brain scan just to make sure there is nothing there because that is pretty much the only place that hasn't been scanned. I am afraid to ask my doctors because they keep blowing me off and think there is nothing wrong with me because I look healthy. I have been in constant pain for at least six years and I have learned to deal with it, so I can hide my pain very well. Truth is, my whole body hurts sometimes and I just want an answer. Does anyone have any ideas or at least tell me what direction I can start in? Should I ask my doctor for a brain scan or should I not worry about it?

Thanks in advance!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:12 pm

The only reason the low back would hurt from the Scheuermanns Kyphosis is from referred pain or muscle spasm since the kyphosis itself is located in the thoracic spine.

The scoliosis and kyphosis may not account for the nausea, fatigue, joint pains and headache.

Besides a blood count, chemistry panel, sed rate, CRP, ANA, rheumatoid factor, anti-CCP (for RA) and thyroid studies, I would do a Lyme disease titer (Lyme disease can present with same or similar symptoms)

gymnast - Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:01 pm

Thank you for your reply! I am getting another blood test done at a health fair at the end of September which includes blood count and thyroid hormones. I have had these symptoms for over a year and don't remember seeing a tick bite, but I do live in Alaska and we have lots of mosquitos. Is it possible that I have had this disease for over a year and not know it?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Alaska is not a high risk state for Lyme disease and there have been no reported cases of West Nile virus in Alaska.
Certainly though the other blood work would be indicated as screening tests for the symptoms you are having.

|