News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: AC shoulder Seperation LVL 3

paulmini - Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:11 am

back i the end of Oct 2008 I suffered a level 3 AC seperation to my right arm from direct impact with the ground. This injury has been left alone without any physical therapy and has healed with the clavical still seperated and at an angel of about 20 degrees. looking at recent x-rays it still looks like a level 3 separation. I am currently on deployment to Iraq and recently I have been feeling tingling down to my elbow, sharp and dull pains in the shoulder and up the right side of my neck as well as a burning sensation throughout my shoulder and my arm goes a little numb. The symptoms seem to vary depending on movement, and some days i am symptom free minus the dull pain. I have full range of motion, minus the pain that goes with it and quite a large deformaty (lump) in my shoulder. I am able to lift weights although again the pain comes later, I can endure having weight put on the shoulder as well with pain afterwards. My question is: almost a year has past without physical therapy, the symtpoms seems to be unpredictable from activity to activity. Surgery has been mentioned but PT has not been ruled out. I do not want to just put a bandaid on my injury until i get back to the states if it can be fixed or relatively fixed back home with surgery? any questions I should be asking the doctors here or anything i should be aware of as I move forward to get myself taken care of would be greatly appreciated
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:41 pm

User avatar Hello,
Grade III AC separations usually raise the question of whether to fix it surgically or treat it conservatively.

Arguably, I start with the following assessment:

Injury without clavicle fracture and/or no need to use the shoulder in heavy work favor conservative treatment(P.T.)

Clavicle fracture and/or need to do heavy work with the shoulder favors the surgical repair.

Other consideration like risk of infection and effects of anesthesia come into play as well.

Certainly, discussing all the options with an orthopedist would be in your best interest.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here