Question: Broken Tibia Fibula

TrevorMark - Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:21 pm

Im 18 years old. Good health and very atheletic. I broke my Tibia and Fibula playing ball hockey. Its a clean break right through both bones in the middle of my right shin. I was in a full leg cast for 5 weeks and I've been wearing a walking brace for the past 2 months. I recently was told I no longer need to wear the brace around my house, but should continue to wear it at work and at school. Its been just over three months since the incident. I want to join the military asap, but I need to wait for my leg to be ready for boot camp (climbing, jumping and running). I would really like to know how much longer it will take to be 100%. Thanks
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Since the limb has been immobilized for 12 weeks, the muscle are weak.

When the orthopedist allows you to place full weight on the limb and no restriction, then progressive and aggressive rehabilitation begins.

You must restore the muscles and the neurological "sensors" around the knee, ankle and hip joints before doing boot camp.

Strengthening take 6 weeks minimum then another 6 weeks for functional training. So rehab with be 12 weeks minimum before able to do boot camp.

|