Question: Incomplete fracture of greater tuberosity

albertina_m - Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Hi.
I did a bungee jump three weeks ago and hurt my shoulder. I had it x rayed and the doc said I had an incomplete fracture of the greater tuberosity as a result of whiplash. He said if I kept it in a sling with ice and anti inflammatory drugs it should be better in three weeks, which is now but it isn't any better. Now it seems to hurt more than when I first did it. Plus I still don't have full range of movement. I've been moving it so the shoulder is not frozen. I am traveling so have not been resting as I should and it's difficult to see a doctor.
If you have any information that might be helpful that would be great.
Thank you
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:05 pm

The recommendation to rest and ice the shoulder is sounds right. With increasing pain after 3 weeks, it is time to re-xray the shoulder. If you can not get in to see a physician within the next week or two then immobilize the extremity (despite the risk of frozen shoulder).

Eventually you may need an MRI too to rule out damage to the labrum in the glenoid (socket of the shoulder).

|