Question: Knee injury has resulted in swollen, severely bruised foot

RATsHippi - Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:47 am

I fell on Aug. 23rd. Slipped on a wet floor and landed directly on my knee. Had an x-ray the next day, no fractures, but they said my knee is full of arthritis. My foot/ankle area was not swollen or bruised at all until about a week after the fall. Now, the base of my toes, both sides of my ankle area, and other spots on top of my foot are severely bruised, foot stays swollen, it gets itchy feeling at times where the bruises are, and the top of my foot has a slight burning feeling at times. I also had an x-ray of my foot; no fractures. My doctor said she feels confident there's no blood clot either. I elevate it and ice the knee and foot area daily every chance I get. Any words of advice for relief? Should I continue to seek more testing to determine the problem? Thank you in advance for your time and for sharing your knowledge and experience.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:53 pm

It is not surprising that as the foot heals, you get some itching and a pronounced increase in the color of the bruise... both are normal healing symptoms.

With time the foot pain should decrease. Occasionaly residual swelling last several weeks or months. This can be handled with compression stocking.

Overall, the foot should be improving over the next week. If not, see a physician.

|