News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Knee injury has resulted in swollen, severely bruised foot

RATsHippi - Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:47 am

I fell on Aug. 23rd. Slipped on a wet floor and landed directly on my knee. Had an x-ray the next day, no fractures, but they said my knee is full of arthritis. My foot/ankle area was not swollen or bruised at all until about a week after the fall. Now, the base of my toes, both sides of my ankle area, and other spots on top of my foot are severely bruised, foot stays swollen, it gets itchy feeling at times where the bruises are, and the top of my foot has a slight burning feeling at times. I also had an x-ray of my foot; no fractures. My doctor said she feels confident there's no blood clot either. I elevate it and ice the knee and foot area daily every chance I get. Any words of advice for relief? Should I continue to seek more testing to determine the problem? Thank you in advance for your time and for sharing your knowledge and experience.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:53 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is not surprising that as the foot heals, you get some itching and a pronounced increase in the color of the bruise... both are normal healing symptoms.

With time the foot pain should decrease. Occasionaly residual swelling last several weeks or months. This can be handled with compression stocking.

Overall, the foot should be improving over the next week. If not, see a physician.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here