News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Bone damage or just soft tissue?

shellyb999 - Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 am

2 weeks ago I was playing on the park with my children when I (stupidly) fell off a balancing beam.
I hit the beam with my left shin with quite a bit of force and it was extremely painful! I am the kind of person who never ever gets bruises no matter how hard i hit something, and I did get a bruise on my leg about the size of an apple. Strangely this disappeared after about 1 hour, however my leg became quite swollen. The pain was so bad that at first I thought I had broken it, however I was able to put some weight on it. So with the help of my 10 year old daughter I managed to walk home.
Now, 2 weeks later, I still have a swollen lump at the site of the injury which is very painful if something brushes against it. Also there is a red patch of skin which is completely numb. If I touch it, I have no sensation on that part of the leg.
Is this normal and will I just have to wait for the swelling to go down?
Thanks so much
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:03 pm

User avatar Hello,
Your bump of swelling and redness will probably go down with time and ice but you should have the limb x-ray to rule out fracture.

Take care.
 Janesum - Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:13 am

I also have a question. Last Friday night I was posing for a picture and open my mouth wide and I heard a crunch in my jaw near my ear. It hurt initially. When I look in the mirror now and open my mouth my jaw looks like it click out of place and back in. It doesnt hurt much anymore. Sometimes it does though. Im worried that it wont fix itself... I cant go to the doctors to check it for two weeks as I am going on holidays.

Is it dislocated or just our of place...? If so how do i fix it....?

Also I heard if it is out and I don't fix it I will have back problems in the future. Is that true?

Thanks

(Worried)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here