Question: Bone damage or just soft tissue?

shellyb999 - Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:14 am

2 weeks ago I was playing on the park with my children when I (stupidly) fell off a balancing beam.
I hit the beam with my left shin with quite a bit of force and it was extremely painful! I am the kind of person who never ever gets bruises no matter how hard i hit something, and I did get a bruise on my leg about the size of an apple. Strangely this disappeared after about 1 hour, however my leg became quite swollen. The pain was so bad that at first I thought I had broken it, however I was able to put some weight on it. So with the help of my 10 year old daughter I managed to walk home.
Now, 2 weeks later, I still have a swollen lump at the site of the injury which is very painful if something brushes against it. Also there is a red patch of skin which is completely numb. If I touch it, I have no sensation on that part of the leg.
Is this normal and will I just have to wait for the swelling to go down?
Thanks so much
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Your bump of swelling and redness will probably go down with time and ice but you should have the limb x-ray to rule out fracture.

Janesum - Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:13 am

I also have a question. Last Friday night I was posing for a picture and open my mouth wide and I heard a crunch in my jaw near my ear. It hurt initially. When I look in the mirror now and open my mouth my jaw looks like it click out of place and back in. It doesnt hurt much anymore. Sometimes it does though. Im worried that it wont fix itself... I cant go to the doctors to check it for two weeks as I am going on holidays.

Is it dislocated or just our of place...? If so how do i fix it....?

Also I heard if it is out and I don't fix it I will have back problems in the future. Is that true?

(Worried)

|