News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Wrist sprain with a lump

Obsidian16 - Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Hello. I'm an 19-year-old female and noticed that my right wrist started to hurt a bit about a week ago. I don't know how since I didn't fall down. I only cleaned the house that day (perhaps I lifted something in an awkward manner and didn't notice?). There's only a sliver of pain when I bend my wrist and quite a bit of pain when I lift heavy things for a while. However, I noticed that there was a lump on the palm side on the pulse point and a little bit of swelling on the other side (the back of my hand). When I touched the lump, it felt hard, and when I put pressure on it, it hurts a lot. Is this just a sprain or something else?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is hard to tell what the lump on the wrist is.
Sometimes ganglion cysts develop in the wrist area and can cause pain.
Treatment of cyst include aspiration followed by steroid injection but the cyst usually returns; otherwise treatment is removal of the cyst surgically.
Take care.
 Obsidian16 - Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:06 am

It's really weird, but now the pain is gone and so is the swelling, actually. However, the lump is still there though it decreased in size and, it feels uncomfortable to a slight twinge of pain when I put pressure on it. The only time it hurts is when I wake up in the morning. Should I get this looked at now or can I wait until I get a check up?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:39 pm

User avatar Hello,
Since a likely cause is ganglion cyst, you can wait until your regular doctor check up. If the pain increases and begins to cause a problem then follow up sooner.
Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here