Question: Wrist sprain with a lump

Obsidian16 - Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:35 pm

Hello. I'm an 19-year-old female and noticed that my right wrist started to hurt a bit about a week ago. I don't know how since I didn't fall down. I only cleaned the house that day (perhaps I lifted something in an awkward manner and didn't notice?). There's only a sliver of pain when I bend my wrist and quite a bit of pain when I lift heavy things for a while. However, I noticed that there was a lump on the palm side on the pulse point and a little bit of swelling on the other side (the back of my hand). When I touched the lump, it felt hard, and when I put pressure on it, it hurts a lot. Is this just a sprain or something else?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:20 pm

It is hard to tell what the lump on the wrist is.
Sometimes ganglion cysts develop in the wrist area and can cause pain.
Treatment of cyst include aspiration followed by steroid injection but the cyst usually returns; otherwise treatment is removal of the cyst surgically.
 Obsidian16 - Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:06 am

It's really weird, but now the pain is gone and so is the swelling, actually. However, the lump is still there though it decreased in size and, it feels uncomfortable to a slight twinge of pain when I put pressure on it. The only time it hurts is when I wake up in the morning. Should I get this looked at now or can I wait until I get a check up?
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:39 pm

Since a likely cause is ganglion cyst, you can wait until your regular doctor check up. If the pain increases and begins to cause a problem then follow up sooner.

|