News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Revision broken ankle surgery

BradW - Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:17 am

I broke my ankle in three places on 8 August. On 17 August I had ORIF surgery. On 28 August I hade stitches removed and consultation with doctor in fracture clinic. He told me that I would a) have a limp for the rest of my life, b) undoubtedly have athritis (I am 64) and c) would probably need further surgery in the future. I was depressed bu have been doing everything I was told to do and was looking forward to shedding my cast on 25 September and trying to recuperate. Last week - about 7 September my injured leg started to tighten and swell more than normal so I got an appointment at fracture clinic and saw another doctor. He took one look at my xrays (the one's taken on 28 August - so post surgery) and said he wasn't happy with my ankle. Xrayed again and then I had a CT scan. I was then informed that I would have to have revision surgery because two of the bones were further apart than they should be. This is going to take place on Friday 17 September. Today I saw the surgeon and he kind of reassured me - well I suppose as much as he could. I am worried about the outcome of this second operation and wonder how long the recovery time will be. I am also concerned about the risks of revision surgery so soon after the original operation. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:21 pm

User avatar Hello,
If the bones are too far apart then non union of the bones occur. This would be a bad outcome as the pain and swelling may be too great to walk well. Plus it would make the foot unstable.
So, surgery despite the risk of infection and side effects of anesthesia appears to be a good option.
Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here