Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: crooked toe

missmarymiss - Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:27 pm

About 3 weeks ago I started getting a pain at the base of my second toe (ball of the foot). Last week my toe started to shift towards the big toe. It's worst when I walk but it's always bent now. No swelling and no redness. Looks like the Vulcan "live long an prosper" sign.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:27 pm

It is hard to tell what is causing the deformity. Two possibilities perhaps three. First, the intrinsic muscles could be weak. Second, a bony abnormality or tumor could be growing between the toes. Third, a Morton's neuroma could be developing.

My first step would be to get in to see the physician for physical exam. The Morton's neuroma would be painful to palpation. An x-ray would be indicated as well.

Actually, a fourth possibility is the most probable. Check the mobility of the 1st ray (long bone of the 1st toe) to see if it is mobility. A hypermobile first ray may cause the second digit to move over. This would show up on x-ray...and over time you may see a bunion develop on the first toe.

|