Question: Bruised or fractured rib

Cosmetologist1015 - Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:48 pm

I recently suffered a trauma to my chest & I'm wondering if I should go get it checked out or not. I was walking next to my car with my hands full, trying not to drop anything. I somehow slammed my right side under my breast into my side-view mirrior. Heard no cracking that I can recall. It was a very hard hit & it knocked the wind out of me & I couldn't catch my breath for a while. Got in bed that night & could barely move. Got up the next morning & there was no bruise like expected, but the area that I hit is EXTREMELY tender to the touch & I am having some slight discomfort breathing. I know there is really nothing that can be done about the rib but I just needed to know if I should make a trip to the dr's office or if I'm better off just taking Tylonal & icing it untill the pain goes away. I am currently on day 2 after the injury & still cannot catch my breath & having a very hard time sleeping but have pretty intense fatigue & am in pretty intense pain. Thanks.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:26 pm

With trauma to the rib cage and difficulty breathing, it is a must to have the area evaluated by a physician including a chest x-ray. X-ray helps rule out pneumothorax (punctured lung) and rib x-ray. Plus, the physician will prescribe the appropriate amount of pain medicine.

|