News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Walking with pain

Ervins - Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi there, im telling now, that sorry for my bad English, this isnt my native language.

I broke my left foots ankle 7weeks ago, and today i removed my cast, and doctor told me to start walk. I could ask these q. to my doc, but i'll meet him only in end of this week.
So, i broke my inner ankle and fibula, i won in competition 6screws and plate (some humor).

And so i took off my plaster cast, and tried to walk and there is problem - when i make step, and when process of step is on a toes only, i have very bad pain somewhere near by the cuneiform bone [?].
What should i do, it really hurts, and these pains is when i put more pressure on my feet.

Thanks. Hope to see answer asap :)
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
As long as the x-ray are satisfactory for healing and your orthopedist has approved bearing weight on the ankle, you can feel confident the bones are fine.
However, the foot may not be ready for full weight bearing (since you have been off the foot for at least 7 weeks).

You may need to start with using crutches and placing only 25% weight and gradually work up to full weight.
Again, check with your physician regarding the weight bearing status and "easy does it" at first.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here