News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Bone trauma and fractures

Question: Bunionectomy with blunt object dropped on during recovery

sadwalker - Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:00 pm

I had a second bunionectomy done in April 2009 2 years after the first on the same right big toe to straighten it out and remove some cartilage that had broken off. I was recovering wonderfully and was in a normal shoe about 6 weeks with no pain. Unfortunately, I dropped the a blunt object on that toe at the nail bed. I immediately iced it and took some anti-inflam pills. The nail never discolored beside a small white mark but I started feeling pain in the joint with walking. X-rays were done and nothing broken but was told to rest it for about 3 weeks and check back. The pain got worse even with just standing and to the touch and walking was painful. MRI revealed a bone contusion in my big toe and I should wear my surgery shoe for 3-6 weeks more with no activity. R.I.C.E. Which I did. I started to feel better in a week and felt I was progressing but now I'm on week 8 and it seems worse again. My job requires walking constantly which I have tried to limit but now even in the surgical shoe it hurts. There is no swelling but the area around the joint does get red. Hard to find information on this. Could there be something more wrong now or is there anything that I can do to help the healing process? I was told that contusions could turn into a fracture. I will try anything to walk again with no pain.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:46 pm

User avatar Hello,
You might check a uric acid level with the possibility of gout in the toe.

If negative and the pain persist imaging the toe again makes sense - perhaps a bone scan.

Generally, a bone bruise takes a long time to heal.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here