Question: Bunionectomy with blunt object dropped on during recovery

sadwalker - Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:00 pm

I had a second bunionectomy done in April 2009 2 years after the first on the same right big toe to straighten it out and remove some cartilage that had broken off. I was recovering wonderfully and was in a normal shoe about 6 weeks with no pain. Unfortunately, I dropped the a blunt object on that toe at the nail bed. I immediately iced it and took some anti-inflam pills. The nail never discolored beside a small white mark but I started feeling pain in the joint with walking. X-rays were done and nothing broken but was told to rest it for about 3 weeks and check back. The pain got worse even with just standing and to the touch and walking was painful. MRI revealed a bone contusion in my big toe and I should wear my surgery shoe for 3-6 weeks more with no activity. R.I.C.E. Which I did. I started to feel better in a week and felt I was progressing but now I'm on week 8 and it seems worse again. My job requires walking constantly which I have tried to limit but now even in the surgical shoe it hurts. There is no swelling but the area around the joint does get red. Hard to find information on this. Could there be something more wrong now or is there anything that I can do to help the healing process? I was told that contusions could turn into a fracture. I will try anything to walk again with no pain.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:46 pm

You might check a uric acid level with the possibility of gout in the toe.

If negative and the pain persist imaging the toe again makes sense - perhaps a bone scan.

Generally, a bone bruise takes a long time to heal.

|