Forum Name: Spinal problems and back pain

Question: Extra Rib-Cervical Rib Syndrome

praveenkulkarnis - Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:34 am

Hi Doctor,
I Praveen Kulkarni from India, and since last 4 yrs alternatively once in a 6 months i m getting a pain in my neck ,below the head.. Recently as advised by my Orthopedist i undergone X Ray check up and came to know that i have an Extra Rib in my Neck. Because of which the nerve which passes through the cervical collar is getting tighten , Hence he is advising me to undergo the surgery to remove the extra Rib,
Now I request you to please let me know the details of it (If possible with pictures) and do i get any side effects by surgery and after that can i go ahead and live rest of the life peacefully or what kind of the precautions i have to take....

Pleaase let me know...and waiting for your reply....
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:23 pm

A cervical rib usually occurs at the lower cervical spine and can compromise nerves and blood vessels into the upper limb (thoracic outlet syndrome).

If the symptoms do not relent with rehabilitation, then surgery may be an option.

You and the surgeon should discuss the risks and benefits prior to the rib removal procedure.

Tare care.
 praveenkulkarnis - Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:52 am

Thank You Doctor.....

|