News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: Carticel procedure

spill - Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:33 pm

I have been suffering from ongoing pain in my right knee now for a year. I am currently 25 and very active (running 25-30 miles a week). Back in 1/09 I was diagnosed with a stress fracture of the medial tibial plateau after my first MRI. A second MRI in 4/09 showed that the stress fracture was healed. Due to ongoing pain, catching and popping my orthopod finally agreed to do arthroscopy on 9/3/09. Much to his surprise (but not mine) he found a tear in the articular cartilage on the medial femoral condoyle. The lesion was grade 3/4 and measured 16mm x 20mm. He woke me up during the procedure to ask me if I would prefer he do a microfracture procedure or the Carticel procedure. Knowing nothing about either, I left the decision up to him and he decided that he thought Carticel would be the better choice. I have done my research about the procedure, and am currently waiting on insurance pre-approval, but would like to hear any input from others who have had experience with this procedure, either patients or doctors. Successes, failures, difficulties, recovery? Is it possible to make a full recovery?

Also, I can't seem to get a straight answer about whether or not it is safe to run on my knee in the meantime. It is healing from the arthroscopy (four weeks out) quite well with just a little swelling remaining and less pain than before the procedure. I don't want to cause further damage, but if it is possible to get some running in before the Carticel procedure, I would like to get some variety rather than biking every day.

Thanks!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:55 pm

User avatar Hello,
I would hold on the running. Non impact aerobic exercise at this point is the best way to keep your fitness level up.
I would also do some open chain leg strengthening i.e. straight leg raising with ankle weights to maintain strength prior to surgery.
I have known runners who have continued running after chondral defect repair but not specifically for the Carticel procedure.

Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here