Forum Name: Degenerative Bone Diseases

Question: Chronic Sore Neck & Headaches

mumoffive - Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi. For two and a half years I have had chronic neck pain. I have been not only to my own doctor but several others...all I have had in this time is 1 xray on my neck which showed nothing. I have been taking amitriptyline, up to 70 milograms which pretty much knocks me out overnight. I take the medication when my pain is a 10/10 which is basically 3 times a week. Otherwise I sit at about a 7/10. Every day I am getting headaches and everyday I have this pain. I get numbness in my hands and sometimes shooting pains through my left arm. I always get tingling in my fingers. One day two weeks ago I had enough of the pain and went back to see a different doctor. He was appalled that I had been left in so much pain and referred me to a chiropractor urgently. I got in the same day and honestly after the first session I thought I was going to die....I was in that much pain that my husband had to knock me out overnight with the amitriptyline. 2 days later I nervously went back to the chiropractor and have been seeing him now for 4 times and I am still no better. He tells me I have good motion in my neck and that I am getting better. I am NOT feeling any better and in fact on some days I am in such bad pain. I am booked in to see an Orthopeadic Surgeon at the end of October but the chiropractor said the surgeon will do nothing. I am so fearful that I have to live in this pain for more years. Why am I not getting a CT scan on my head and an MRI? Or is this not warranted?? I am in so much pain that I constantly think of just going to my accident and emergency. But afraid they will just send me home. The chiropractor is not making me better, I am still in a lot of pain. What do I do? What do I demand? PLEASE HELP me. I am desperate.
 Debra Van Ness RN - Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:00 pm

Ok, this is my reply. Please know that I am a nurse. I am an RN. I cannot ever diagnose. So don't take it that way. My opinion is that you could have fibromyalgia. Symptoms are much like what you are describing and the neck and shoulder and upper back pain is the most prominent pain with many fibro patients.

It could be a host of many other things so don't just take this word and go with it. I am just saying, read up on fibromyalgia and speak to your physician.

Debra Van Ness RN
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:17 pm

Since you have neck pain with arm numbness and tingling then you should look into having an MRI done to evaluate the nerve and disc structures in the cervical pain.
Also you should avoid chiropractic work until the MRI results come back... especially since the pain levels increase with treatment.

mumoffive - Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:47 am

Hi Debra and Tom,

Thanks so much for both your replies. Re-reading my post, I see how many times I mentioned the word 'pain'! Sorry about that. Regarding the fibromyalgia, I will read up about that tonight, thanks Debra. Regarding the MRI...I have always thought I needed further evaluating and told my chiropractor so but he does'nt listen. I have had 8 sessions now and have been in more pain in the last 2 days. I have also had more numbness in both arms.I see the Orthopeadic Surgeon in 2 weeks so will ask for an MRI. Thank you for responding...I will be stopping the chiropractor appoints until I see the surgeon and will let you know how I get on. Thanks again...:-) Suzy
 mumoffive - Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:20 am

Well I had my appointment yesterday with the Orthopeadic Surgeon. He is giving me an MRI scan and I did'nt have to ask for one! He asked if I had bladder problems...and I said yes for about the same amount of time I've had my sore neck. I can wait anywhere up to 6 months for the MRI...I'm not sure how urgent I will be. Thank goodness something is finally being done...I am in so much agony, I just want the pain to be gone. Will keep you updated.

|