News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Orthopedics Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Orthopedics Answers List

Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: 2nd talar OCD sx/peroneal tendon pain

ryann - Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:37 am

Hi,

Last Sept. I had my 2nd talar OCD sx. First one failed secondary to manufactured plug not taking. 2nd sx. had autograft placement from my knee along w/ peroneal tendon transfer, calcaneal translational osteotomy, and plantar release. I recently had an MRI due to continued pain in ankle and "popping" of my peroneal tendon. MRI showed edema at tibiotalar joint and around peroneal tendon. This is the synopsis from radiology, "An osteochondral graft is redemonstrated in the talar dome. There has been interval increase in fatty marrow signal at the caudal aspect of the graft, consistent with interval partial integration. Stable T2 hyperintensity in the overlying cartilage is compatible with softening.Evidence of intervening peroneal tendon surgery with mild hyperintensity of the peroneus brevis tendon, consistent with tendinitis." Most of the above I don't understand, but primarily I am looking for a 2nd opinion to verify that my tendon popping is JUST tendonitis and not subluxing. Doc. felt my ankle and I was able to make it pop by pulling my toes up and out. I am concerned that the popping is being overlooked. My doc. gave me a topical anti-inflammatory ointment and told me to brace my foot. Can peroneal tendonitis really cause the popping which is audible, and painful? Is the tendonitis a result from a dislocating tendon? Can the two tendons, brevis and longus, rub together and cause popping??? I have been dealing w/ this ankle for 3 years and do not want to risk further damage! Is it worth a second opinion?

Thank you in advance for your help and for addressing my questions!!!!
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:35 pm

User avatar Hello,
Yes, the peroneal tendon can pop with ankle movement and can cause pain if the tendon is inflamed. Usually the tendon glides over bone to causing the "pop".
It is not clear what is happening to the graft - it some ways, it sounds like the graft is not taking.
Certainly, a second opinion is always an option.
Take care.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here