Forum Name: Joint surgery

Question: SLAP VIII type tear

trulyphe - Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:10 pm

Okay I had an MRI done saturday and cant see an orthpedic specialist for another week, just wonderinng what possible out comes may be.

According to MRI:
1) Abnormal signal of labrum fromm 7:00 to 1:00 position.
2) Hill-Sachs deformity of anterior humeral head.
3) Tendinopathy and low grade intrasubstance and bursal-sided partial tear of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons. No full thickness tendon tear seen.
4) Mild osteoarthrosis of the acromioclavicular joint and mild lateral downsloping of a type I acromion.

Of course no clue what these findings mean, the doctor I went to see couldn't explain much. Would the above findings be the reason for me feeling a "burning" sensation and sharp pain in my shoulder joint, it feels at times like someone is pinching or pressing down on the top of my shoulder from the neck to the joint, can't sleep on my shoulder anymore and when I lay on my back if I move my arm to my left side and back to the right it makes a clicking sound and it feels like my shoulder "double" clutches to move back.
 Tom Plamondon PA-C - Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:44 pm

There is structural damage in the shoulder probably from an anterior dislocation.

1) The labrum (padding of the shoulder joint) was probably torn
2) The Hills Sach lesion is an indentation fracture of the humeral head (the portion of the long arm bone which attaches to the shoudler). Occurs from a dislocation.
3) Partial rotator cuff tear in the shoulder.
4) AC joint arthritis with mild separation.

Arthroscopic surgery may be needed to repair the labrum but since the rotator cuff was not completely torn conservative treatment with physical therapy should be given a trial.

Treatment options should be discussed in detail with an orthopedic surgeon.

|